Start Loving Yourself Today
“Self-love” is all the rage nowadays, but that doesn’t mean it has to be just another passing trend. Self-love is survival. Life is full of struggles, and loving ourselves on a regular basis creates a solid foundation for supporting us through them. When you’re not used to it, though, it can be hard to know where to start. So what can you do today to start loving yourself more? Below are my top 5 favorite ways.
- Practice the Reverse Golden Rule: We’ve all heard the age-old Golden Rule of, “Treat others how you want to be treated,” and most of us are pretty good at living by it. But the reverse is also a powerful way to live: “Treat yourself how you’d like others to be treated.” We tend to be much kinder to and patient with other people than we are with ourselves. As you go throughout your day today, try to notice how you internally talk to yourself.
- Talk positively to yourself: Whether it’s verbally talking to yourself or writing it down in a journal, giving yourself a pep talk is incredibly empowering! Instead of thinking of your insecurities, remind yourself what you love about yourself. List out your accomplishments. Write down what you’re grateful for. You have the power to change the focus of your thoughts, and that can be truly life-changing.
- Reframe your limiting beliefs: To begin loving yourself more, you have to address the thinking that has gotten you to this lack of love for yourself. Think about your biggest insecurities, and write them down. Why do you feel that way? Then, reword these beliefs into constructive and uplifting ones. For example, instead of, “No one cares what I say,” try, “The people that matter care what I say.” Change your narrative, and you’ll change your life.
- Do something fun by yourself: Just like you’d spend time with a friend to nurture that relationship, you have to spend some time with yourself to nourish your self-relationship too. I personally love experiencing new things on my own because it feels so special, like my own little secret memories. Whether it’s seeing a movie, going on a road trip, or partaking in a hobby, time to yourself allows you to do exactly what you want at your own pace and enjoy yourself along the way.
- Take care of your future self: Even if today is one of those days where you’re not feeling particularly fond of yourself, you can still love and take care of yourself in an objective way. When I’m feeling “blah” about my day, I try to at least tidy up the house, pay some bills, or do some other random errand. It may not be the most fun,st fun, but your future self will be so grateful!
The number of ways you can start loving yourself today is infinite, and only you know what will work best for you personally. Never give up trying to find what works – You are more than worth it!
Written by Jade Joseph “Girl Untitled”